In accordance with Department of Health recommendations around Covid-19, say.kitchen is currently closed for bookings. We look forward to welcoming you back to say.kitchen when the pandemic is over. Stay safe, be well – and we’ll see you on the other side of social distancing!
An initiative of St John’s Youth Services, say.kitchen is a community hub incorporating a café, gallery and events spaces. The ‘say’ in say.kitchen stands for South Australian Youth, while the ‘kitchen’ represents the gathering space in a home where food, companionship and conversation are shared.
- A café specialising in dishes crafted from indigenous ingredients, which is open to the public and available for functions. Managed by Meridian Vocational College, the say.kitchen café provides young people with accredited hospitality training and real-world work experience.
- A gallery that provides exhibition space for young artists, particularly those from Aboriginal or New Arrival backgrounds, and LGBTIQ young people. The gallery’s focus is on inclusion, and ensuring young people outside of the mainstream are not excluded from representation. Exhibiting artists are not charged a fee to display their work, and no commission is collected from their sale.
- A flexible event space that can be modified to accommodate a wide range of activities, workshops and performances.
- A service hub that provides young people with individualised, wrap-around support and access to housing assistance. St John’s Youth Services’ Next Step Outreach program is at the centre of say.kitchen, supporting young people to move out of homelessness and succeed in the private rental market, and connecting young people with resources, opportunities and community.
- Say.kitchen is home to some of SA’s leading community services, including Keeping my Place, Wise Employment, Equality Lawyers, Anglicare SA New Arrivals program (NAYS) and Meridian Vocational College.
Meeting and event catering
Coffee and catering at say.kitchen are provided by leading South Australian training provider, Meridian Vocational College (MVC). The team at MVC prides itself on educating the next generation of hospitality professionals, while providing delicious food that combines comfort flavours with a modern twist. Their menu features unique dishes made from locally sourced indigenous ingredients, creatively prepared by MVC’s talented team of chefs and students.
As well as providing coffee, meals and snacks at the say.kitchen café, MVC offers a flexible range of catering packages that can be customised to suit your meeting, function or event. For more info, choose a button below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Say.kitchen would not be possible without the commitment and generosity of our community of individual, philanthropic, corporate and government supporters. Seed funding for say.kitchen was received via ‘Fund my Community’ – an SA government initiative that invited South Australians to consider a range of community projects and choose where funds should be allocated. The South Australian community chose young people, and entrusted St John’s Youth Services with start up funds to create say.kitchen. The organisations listed below are among those who have joined this generous community of supporters and backed young people with funds, resources and support.
Supporting say.kitchen and creating positive change for young people in SA is easy! Simply choose say.kitchen for your next meeting, workshop or training session. Meet your friends at say.kitchen for coffee or lunch, or get out of the office and bring in your laptop to enjoy comfy couches and super-fast WiFi! Choose say.kitchen as the venue for your next function or event, or drop into the gallery to support emerging young artists. Help us spread the word about say.kitchen by telling your friends and colleagues, or bring them along to say.kitchen events. You can volunteer with the St John’s Youth Services Events & Promotions team to help us raise funds and awareness, or hold a fundraising event of your own. To contribute directly to our life changing Next Step Outreach and Keeping my Place programs, click the button below to donate. However you choose to get involved, we’re excited to welcome you to the say.kitchen community!
Centrally located at 78 Currie St in the heart of Adelaide’s vibrant west end, say.kitchen is the perfect location for your next meeting, training session or event. You can just drop in for a coffee and relax on the couch, or enjoy a delicious morning tea or lunch prepared by the chefs and students from Meridian Vocational College. Come on over and take a look around – we’d love to see you!